Wednesday, August 8, 2007

From back of the bus to back of the class

Just in time for Back-to-School: A recently released study shows that teachers discipline Black girls for "unlady-like" behavior more than their white counterparts. This leads to under-engagement of Black girls in the academic process.

Some of the rationale for this as shared by teachers who participated in the study is hilarious. I often ask myself how some of these people managed to get teaching degrees or were licensed to teach. It's sad because schools are the second most important socializing agent in our society and they have consistently been shown to be sexist and racist in their practices. And for some students schools are the main agent of socialization because their parents are absent as active role models and caregivers. It's alarming--then--to see studies like this that show teachers crushing the curiosity and academic pursuits of little Black girls.

I really don't think that educators get it: what they do now has effects on the rest of students' lives. I remember the day a teacher chastised me in front of the class for not understanding a math problem. I have sucked at the subject ever since.

To force conscious or unconscious thoughts, attitudes or beliefs on girls based on racist ideologies and stereotypes hinders what progress has been made by Black women in education and limits what these girls can do in their future academic careers. The effects of limited education spill into other aspects of society. It's one big clusterfuck of white domination and as usual Black women bear the brunt of it.

Solutions? I'm not sure I have any. How can you treat the conscious of an individual? To re-wire them without prejudice? Maybe more diversity training? Black people home school their kids? Homogenous learning environments: Black teachers, Black students? More active participation in schools on the part of parents and caregivers?

I don't know, but I'll take suggestions.

No comments: