Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I guess I should post about this, right?

I think this guy's column really sums it up for me. I'm so over this election it's not even funny. I don't even have it in me to write a check, pick up the phone and knock on a door. Seriously. (There should be some organizing around helping the Bush Family pack. I would do that.) I should be moved to tears that the first (half) Black person (man) is the (presumptive) Democratic nominee for the POTUS. Alas, I was. Now, I'm just over it. People were reacting last night as if he won the general election, not just the election that allows him to run in the general election.

This election, instead of being monumental, has grown vicious, tired, stale and monotonous.
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous
vicious, tired, stale and monotonous

And I blame a lot of it on the media. I'm more into politics than the average American, but my fervor for American politics (what was left of it at least) is completely depleted. This election (with its coverage as predictable as my morning bus route) has confirmed my belief in the fact that our entire electoral process is really no better than those in countries where you can get shot at the polls. Exaggeration, I know, but who can you trust? If selecting a leader is up to a handful of (super)delegates in smoky backrooms and a bunch of random people in the Electoral College, then what the hell do you need me for?

Now what do I say to every person that has told me: "Politics just isn't my thing....my vote doesn't really count....it's boring, etc."? The change we can believe in can only go so far and people are tired of the nasty ads, the predictable soundbites and the exhaustive pundit-ing on every channel (but not of Michelle's fabulous clothes and hair, and those adorable daughters). Hell, I'm more excited to see who wins between Boston and L.A. than I am to see who wins in November. Now that the proverbial dust has settled, what the hell do we do now and how to do mobilize the numb masses? More rhetoric and rallies? I hope not.

I'm still waiting for this moment to sink in, but I think it sunk in a long time ago and now it is just sitting heavy like a bad meal waiting to be excreted.

No comments: