Sunday, June 8, 2008

Perrier and judgemental cash registers

So I was at CVS getting random need-to-gets and I was in the food and beverage section trying to make a selection on a commercially-produced summertime libation of the non-alcoholic variety. To my snobbery's dismay, there was no Evian in the large bottles chilled. I also wanted some iced tea and I must admit to enjoying sweet tea though I have no innate leanings toward southern cuisine. I was perusing my chilled options growing increasingly concerned that I may have to settle for a room temperature can when this man breezes between myself and the cooler and lands at the bottled water section where he grabs a Perrier. And then smugly without saying excuse me (at least loud enough for me to hear), breezes back past me still staring blankly into the cooler.

Dammit, I thought. He looked at me like I was one of the regular buffoonish people who regularly enjoys large cans of manufactured iced tea. I don't! I like it fresh brewed with an infusion of fruit. I swear. I mean, he got Perrier, but I consume Evian like most people consume tap water. Hey, Mr. Perrier with your dangling iPod ear buds, I could drink fizzy water if I wanted to, but I like my water fresh as the mountain spring from which it sprang (sprung?).

Come back here. I don't even know if I'm buying this can of iced tea, I may just forget the whole thing and go home and brew some Tazo teas and chill them in an artisan pitcher I bought at a vintage store. You don't know me, so stop judging me.

Then I saw that the cans of the sweet tea were two fer 99¢, so I bought them. I get my receipt which contained valuable, money-saving coupons on Glucerna products, which are for diabetics. Thanks, register computer for judging me....as if the cooler aisle wasn't enough.

No comments: