Friday, March 28, 2008

My bleeding heart is apparently also cheap

This article has me banging my head against the keyboard xsnvhsdfiobno[etwmbnopopertmelpmwbpjlml[p
etmw,lpb;[
er,'
w]kb
[ptrnmlm,;
bnr'[
e,b,,ef,,e[g,er';
f

Apparently, liberals are less charitable than conservatives. In a study conducted by Arthur C. Brooks, author of "Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism", he found that liberals are less likely to give blood and donate less money to charities on average.

That's because conservatives regardless of income give all their money to the goddamn church. Further, liberals work at nonprofits - what is more fucking charitable than making charity your life's work?

The author (who is "independent" - THERE IS NO SUCH THING) argues that liberals replace stone cold cash with support for public giving and government programs. The problem he sees is that if we are so busy advocating for charity from the government, which may or may not work, we are hurting the "needy" (I hate that word much like I hate the phrase "inner city") because we ain't giving out of our own coffers.

Is he calling out liberals? Are we hypocrites? I see the numbers, but they don't reflect the complexity of real life. Liberals may live in richer districts, but as far as I can see the power still rest in the hands of a privilged, male few and those few don't look, think or act like me. If they're so damn charitable, why do we have war, homeless people, people without jobs, shoddy schools and no healthcare for everyone?

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll keep writing my small checks and keep pushing the equality that everyone so justly deserves.

No comments: