Thursday, May 1, 2008

It always happens this way doesn't it? aka Condi is still the good one

The first woman to head the General Services Administration has been forced to resign (Can I just say how annoyed I am with the photo choice WaPo used?). She's Black. She's Republican. On one hand I care, and on the other I'm not surprised. Guess which one is which.

Lurita Alexis Doan grew up in poor N'Orleans and was one of the first darkies to integrate Vassar. She got some useless ass Master's de-Gree in Renaissance Literature. Eventually she became rich somehow and became a GOP donor and supporter. She's married to some asshole Republican guy who also works for the Bush Regime. The problem with my girl Lurita is that she came under fire for awarding contracts to her friends. Like this is new in Washington. So, alas, after some lengthy scrutiny on behalf of both major parties, she has been asked to resign from her post.

Dammit, dammit, dammit, Lurita. You may be worst than this woman. You's embarrassing me. You know why? Because you made history for not only women. Not only for people of color, but for women of color. Despite working for and supporting a lame ass political party that hasn't done a good thing for coloreds since Lincoln was in charge (and that was after much rigmarole), I am proud to see such a public shining example of a woman coming from an impoverished background to one of prominence.

However, I am not surprised that you played by the same rules of the white men you kept company with. It is nearly impossible to stay clean in dirty American politics and you sure as hell can't do it when you work for GWB.

I want want want to say that you are individual and your actions don't reflect those of all women or all Blacks, but unfortunately they do. While we (Blacks, Black women, women) can be proud of you, we can also be very ashamed of you - you're a disappointment. Hells yes: I hold you to a higher standard, because you of all people should know that you had to work harder, be smarter and give more than your male and white counterparts. And you fucked it all up thinking you could play on the same court with their rules. I thought you knew better than that.

I wish it weren't that way, but I don't think you made things any easier for Elaine or Condi. I want to say that because you are an individual, you can elect to support whatever party you want, but it still stings when I see such a public display of support for the Republican party by a woman and a person of color.

I want to say that this resignation is your fault and your burden to bear, but Lord knows you aren't the only one dragging this cross of shame.

No comments: