Friday, May 30, 2008

Plan? No. Pluck and aplomb? Yes.

Last night riding home on the bus after mediocre workout at the gym (mediocre them, but feeling it today)

Guy: (Columbine-style creepiness approaches and sits sideways in seat in front of me) Hi. I'm circulating a petition to get RTA to install recycling bins at all their rapid station stops. Would you like to sign my petition?

MarilynJean: Sure...but who is going to pick up the recycling?

Guy: Well, this would create hundreds of jobs because RTA would have to hire people to pick it up.

MJ: OK...so, then RTA has agreed to do it?

Guy: Well, no...not exactly. (with certainty) I'm going to deliver the petitions to them and then I'll work with them to implement the plan.

MJ: (shrugging) Yeah, I'll sign it.

Guy: Cool, thanks. It's good that you're asking questions; this helps me flesh out the idea.

MJ: Good luck.

(Guy moves towards back end of the bus and approaches a group of young men from an indeterminable African country)

Guy: Hi. Would you like to sign my petition? I'm petitioning RTA to put recycling bins at all the rapid stops.

African: What?

Guy: (louder) Hi. Would you like to sign my petition? I'm petitioning RTA to put recycling bins at all the rapid stops.

African: Is it a pay-ten-shun? OK. I will sign it.

Guy: (loud) Thank you.


MarilynJean: (thinking) It's a crapshoot, but at least he's doing something.

No comments: