Monday, April 9, 2007

Fire him? Someone should fire you

So Don Imus said a "bad thing". I'm not mad at him. At this point in my life I am comfortably numb to the stupid things white people say. I may have even empathized with Michael Richards when he went on a tirade during a comedy routine.

What makes me upset is the response to these incidents. People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson only work to further prove my belief that no real Black leaders exist anymore. I mean someone has to point out that comments like this aren't acceptable. But leave it to these two clowns to call a press conference and demand apologies from people who are inconsequential to the success or failure of the Black race. I see their very public responses as nothing more than smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that they are useless. Their hey days are over and they thrive on beating dead horses. Let's add to my frustration whomever showed up for their scheduled protests. Protest the war, global warming, Darfur and Sudan genocides, don't waste your time protesting a marginal figure in the media.

And it's not just Al and Jesse. Even when Ann Coulter questioned the heterosexuality of John Edwards, LGBT groups were calling for her to be fired. She wasn't fired, but she was dropped by a number of affiliates. However all that "advocacy" did nothing to stop one more gay man from being fired, or some lesbian couple from adopting.

I know, I know, it is part of the Equality Agenda, and if we can confront and combat "-ist" attitudes in the media, we're winning half the battle. I guess.

Believe it or not, people have the right to say whatever they want even if we don't agree. Leave it to constitutional lawyers and the Supreme Court to tell me if I'm right...or wrong.

It seems to me that "advocates" appear when the targets are easy. Al and Jesse and HRC, where were you when Lebron made seemingly anti-gay comments about gays in the NBA? While we're wasting time and money, let's attack him...oh wait, he's done so much for the Black race. Or how about the countless sexist and violent rap videos, or the fatherless Black children, and the AIDS and the class divide? These are real things that are real threats the Black community. One more white man with one more stupid thing to say can't make my life any harder than it already is. Institutional barriers, politics, and the economy can.

I think that people like Sharpton and Jackson need people like Coulter and Imus...it makes them look good. Gives them an opportunity to appear as if they're really doing something. And that is what is truly sad. I expect ignorance and I get it. I expect leadership and I'm let down every time.

No comments: