Monday, April 21, 2008

I hate Mondays, but I don't hate Mondays

So Sportygrrl alerted me to a white people secret. It is this: the word Monday is often used to refer to a Black person. It is derogatory code to express discontent or dislike of Black people. Mondays usually suck, so what better code word to describe one of those most despised groups of people in the world? Sentence usage: "They just hired a Monday at my office. You can thank affirmative action for that."

Now do you see why I long for the days when a cross would be burned on my lawn? At least then, the racism wasn't so subversive. We live in a society today that pats itself on the back for making racial progress, yet we have nothing to show for it except whispered epithets and code words.

Can you imagine the race wars that would break in out cubicles every Monday across America if more Blacks knew about this?

Note to self: send link to this post to BlackPeople@yahoogroups.com.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I've never heard that either. And it doesn't make sense to me.