Tuesday, May 15, 2007

From Degrassi to My So-Called Life

I'm sure the 2.5 people who read my blog are DYING to know what is going on the Moxie L-O-V-E Department with Miss Fixx-It as the new hire.

Let's see...there have been pink flowers, a pink card, Tollhouse Cookies, dinners out, dinners in, phone calls, text messaging and finally some high school-style makeout sessions. It's very Class President meets Captain of the Softball Team (She's too short and tiny for a basketball or football metaphor...and she really did play softball whereas I was not Class President because people clearly vote for looks and popularity and not qualifications of the candidates. After I lost the primary, I became campaign speech writer for the Class Treasurer and she won hence my career in writing for other peope now).

However, in this time, we have forced ourselves to escape the quicksand of girl-on-grrl relationships. In other words, slowing things down - waaaaaay down. This being done in a way that mimics more a "My So-Called Life" episode than the adolescent bliss that is Degrassi. She's Jared Leto and I'm Claire Danes. We had a conversation over text message that if it were a scene would go something like this:

(Playing: I'll Be by Edwin McCain)
Miss: I'm so sorry about last night. I think I was a little tipsy. I had like four Smirnoff Ices and a shot. I was almost trashed.
ML: Why are you apologizing for drinking alcohol?
Miss: *sigh* It's just that....I felt that...fuck.
ML: What?
Miss: I could have went further with you...
(The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful Stop me and steal my breath And emeralds from mountains thrust towards the sky Never revealing their depth)
ML: I wish...I mean...yeah. That's OK. It's all good.
Miss: I'm such as an asshole for thinking about going all the way with you! I hate myself....I like you. Like, I really like you. I shouldn't be thinking about having sex with you. That's just crazy.
ML: Yeah. *blinks*
(And Tell me that we belong together Dress it up with the trappings of love I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above)
Miss: *deep breath* *pounds wall with fist* It's just that...I don't want to make the same mistakes. Life has brought me gifts and I want to open them with my eyes...open.
ML: What? Oh, yeah. Totally. You like it with the lights on. I can dig that.
Miss: Are you OK with this?
ML: I think so...what is "this"?
Miss: US.
(And I'll be your cryin' shoulder I'll be loves suicide And I'll be better when I'm older I'll be the greatest fan of your life.)
ML: *She is so hot. I wish we were making out right now.* Yes, us. Right, I knew that. So...that morning in your bed meant nothing? *tearing up* The way you pre-cut and buttered my pancakes...meant nothing? How can...can...someone make pancakes and bacon so crispy for another person and let them eat it in their king-sized bed on a Saturday morning turn AROUND and say....*breathes* and say that it was a mistake? How?
(And I dropped out, I burned up, I fought my way back from the dead I’m tuned in, I turned on, remembered the thing that you said)
Miss: I DON'T do that for everyone. You take that back! *pounds fist into wall* *runs fingers through her hair*
ML: The bacon was so crispy...*crying* so crispy.
Miss: I want to make pancakes and bacon for you....as a friend. Right now. And, and one day I can see us eating pancakes together all the time. I don't want to ruin pancakes between us.
ML: Oh, wait: so you're saying I can still get pancakes?
Miss: Yes. But this isn't about the pancakes. Are you listening to me?
ML: Yeah, yeah. That was like a deli cut bacon, I can tell. Friends, girlfriends...sure, fine.
Miss: I want us to take our time.
ML: OK. But next time....next time, *caresses her cheek* we have to have Mrs. Butterworth's.
*walks out of the room*
Miss: Wait. We're done talking?

(And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be loves suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your
I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be loves suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life

The greatest fan of your life)

No comments: