Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What do fallen heroes look like?

I am sure many people are recovering from spending time with their loved ones yesterday. Almost everyone I know had something to say about food, family, travel, or sobriety checkpoints. No one mentioned anything about all the dead soldiers and the reason why Memorial Day exists. Now, you know that I am no flag waver, but I support my troops. And while everyone was passing the baked beans and seven-layer salad, I sincerely hope that at some point they thought about how lucky they were to a) be surrounded by family, and b) be with their loved ones instead of at a cemetery leaving flowers for their kin.

I guess you think about Memorial Day a little more when there is war going on. And I came across this nicely put article about remembering Puerto Ricans who have served in the US military. That brought me to my next thought: when we do take a moment to "remember" our fallen heroes....faces stuffed with grilled pork and burnt hamburgers....what do they look like?

No comments: