Tuesday, June 12, 2007

AIDS is so hot right now

I love Bono. I really do. I take his work seriously. However this new ONE Vote '08 campaign co-chaired by one Democrat and one Republican is laughable at best. The campaign is focused on making sure all the presidential candidates prioritize ending world hunger and poverty. They even have a pledge that they want candidates to sign. If signed, the candidate pledges to:

- Fight HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
- Improve child and maternal health.
- Increase access to basic education, particularly for girls.
- Provide access to clean water and sanitation.
- Reduce by half the number of people worldwide who suffer from hunger.

Call me Negative Nancy, but these are some of the most unrealistic goals I have seen since my last attempt at a diet back in 1995 and as vague as my status reports at staff meeting. Further, I am painfully leery of any cause that is so heavily backed by celebrities. And I will be the first to tell you that celebrities are people, too, but they are celebrities....they make AIDS in Africa look hot and in. The Gates have invested money along with others for a whooping $30 million campaign starter pot. How many rice bags and vaccines does that equal?

Of course all the candidates will sign on and pledge to make a difference like everyone else....because they are idiots. I mean if it all it took was for politicians to cure AIDS and feed the hungry, why are we all still dying on empty stomachs?

Kudos for a valiant, but empty effort.

1 comment:

MisterElle said...

Perhaps they should start a little smaller. Ending global hunger seems far-reaching. Why not try in Cleveland and see how that works?