Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Plain "Nuts!"

People are still dissing Katie. I don't get it. Does she really suck? I was intrigued by the headline to this article. Then I was impressed because Leslie is a boy and one of Katie's biggest defenders. Hell, he's Bush to her Gonzales.

So, yeah I am bummed out by the fact that people keep hating on the first solo female news anchor, but I was amused by this excerpt:

Meanwhile, Moonves said the network's decision last week to reinstate a canceled show called "Jericho" following an outpouring of viewer e-mails and other protests spoke to the growing influence of the Internet on broadcasters.

"It was a campaign that couldn't be ignored," Moonves said of the mobilization of "Jericho" fans, saying it was "astonishing and well-organized."

As part of the campaign, disgruntled viewers delivered thousands of pounds of peanuts to CBS's corporate offices, a reference to a scene in the season finale where a character replies, "Nuts!" to a demand that the town in Kansas, which had been isolated by a nuclear attack, surrender.

It's amusing because if Americans spent more energy writing their representatives like they write network executives (and I have done both), we'd be a better picture of democracy. I wonder if those same people are the ones who don't vote, aren't registered and couldn't distinguish our Secretary of State from one of the Pointer Sisters. In other words, get pissed about something real people.

My fellow Americans never cease to amaze me.

No comments: