Monday, June 4, 2007

This day in history

Today marks the anniversary of the Tienanmen Square Massacre. I was 7 when this happened and I have no recollection of this in the news. But it is something worth remembering and commemorating every year. It is this sort of active demonstration and sacrifice for justice that is lacking in this country today. Most college students are too busy adding new layouts to their Facebook page to give a shit about anything that matters besides themselves. The closest thing we have to activism is (Red) phones by Motorola.

And when I look at that famous picture of the lone man standing in front of the rolling army tanks, I have to ask myself: Could I do the same thing? If so, what would I be prepared to die for? There have been many a Trivial Pursuit games that I felt were do-or-die, but in this case, I am thinking more big picture.

No comments: